Thursday, December 24, 2009

Flowers, Christmas Eve, and the best gift ever!

A few things I must share with you all!

  • I have decided to apply for a part-time job when I go back to Clinton.  In addition to working at the writing center, I am going to ask a few florists in Clinton if they need any part-time help.  Why?  Because I love flowers!  I would be satisfied if they paid me in flowers...ohhh I am excited just imagining the beauty...and can't believe I haven't thought of this sooner!
  • Merry Christmas!  Hope all of you are enjoying Christmas now that the shopping, traffic, and stress is over!  Now just wait until the day after Christmas.  I have been working at The Limited over break (a job I also had in high school) and can vouch that the day after Christmas is almost as thrilling for those of us working retail as, say, walking on hot coals.
I have been thinking of what Christmas means.  It is slightly tragic, I think, that an entire country can make such a huge deal of this holiday while missing Jesus.  Amidst car-to-car traffic and shopping bags galore, it is so clear that we can't provide each other with the "perfect gift".  Why?  because the scarf WILL develop a pull on it, the new nintendo WILL someday cause the TV to stop, and the chocolates WILL go bad.  

God gave us Christmas because He looked at a sad and broken world--his children--and decided that something needed to happen so that His relationship with them could be restored.  THIS is why we celebrate!!  Through Jesus, we can know God.

I confess that even I try to make this season perfect for others.  But I am so thankful that I can rest in receiving the gift of Jesus.  Christ is eternal.  He never fails.

0 comments: