Sunday, December 27, 2009

fitting room fiasco

As I have previously mentioned, I have worked on and off at the limited since my senior year in high school. Today is one of my last days at the limited for the year.  (I may or may not work there over the month of may, depending on whether or not my parents agree to let me go to south africa.)  Anyways, as soon as I came into work at 3 today I started working on the "go-backs".  go-backs are all of the clothes customers try on in the fitting rooms but decide not to purchase.

shortly after i began putting the go-backs away, my manager, debbie, asked if i would work the fitting rooms.  basically, this job entails putting the clothes in the room for the customers and getting additional items at their request.

today was an especially busy day at the limited.  many customers sought to take advantage of a substantial sale.  by the time i went to work the fitting rooms, about five or six women were standing in line to receive a room.

a few "excuse me"s later, i made my way to the fitting room.  i knocked on every door to see if any women needed additional sizes or items.  a woman opened the door and walked out to show a dress to her shopping partners.  the woman was debating whether or not to purchase the dress.  i, personally, told the woman that the dress looked great on her, but i tell everybody that because it's usually true (and i'm not eager to find an alternative to their outfit if it isn't cute!).

as the woman was deciding to purchase the dress, another lady snipped aloud, "you know there are other people in line, don't you.  come on, i mean you're not a pageant beauty!"

yup, i have witnessed many things at the limited: prostitutes looking for birthday presents, clueless husbands searching for the perfect gift, but never, ever had i witnessed a fight in the fitting room.

UNTIL TODAY...so how did i resolve this issue?  i apologized to the customer in the dress and walked out of the fitting room to ask debbie's advice.  she told me to shrug them off.  as i returned to the fitting room, another lady in a wheelchair waiting outside told me she had also been insulted by the aforementioned meanie!  and the insult was about being in a wheelchair nonetheless.

after this incident, as i was working on more go-backs, many customers told me how strange their fitting room experience was.  a woman's husband mentioned that he was so surprised he couldn't speak--and was too scared to speak in front of the harsh audience surrounding the fitting rooms.

yet again, my life gets weirder.

0 comments: