I just wanted to announce that though we thought this blog would be over when Ashton graduated PC, it possibly isn't. Because...(drum roll)...Ashton's working at PC this year! Wahooo! So for all of you hopeful readers, there is definitely a chance to catch a few more glimpses into life in the smyth lane from your favorite bloggers.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Posted by Amanda at 5:08 PM
Friday, May 7, 2010
Monday, May 3, 2010
Friday, April 30, 2010
a few things worth noting:
1. amanda and i have been very proud of the fact that our blog inspired at least four other blogs. however, i am sad to report that none of these blogs have had a new post in over a month. one of them hasn't had a new post in more than four months! apparently, not everyone has as much to say as the residents of smyth 114.
2. i'm still trying to get a job for next year. if you have any connections in greenville, holla at me. i can use all the help i can get. hoping to start working the first week of june.
3. only 8 more days until graduation, and i'm spending them at the beach with some of my best friends! i'm hoping to return at least three shades darker.
4. my new (and solo) blog will make it's debut on may 9, so look out for the web address in the near future.
Posted by Ashton Yount at 12:31 AM
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
a few special things about the end of second semester:
- study breaks in GDH! every exam week, PC's student government hosts nightly "study breaks" in the dining hall for us to get some breakfast food, participate in a few food fights, and jam to our favorite tunes. i will admit i successfully participated in a couple of food fights tonight, going so far as to flick a few grits and some eggs. though i hear the fight is on, as of now, there is no sight of retribution.
- moving out...so sad to see smyth 114 totally broken down. ash's dad came this afternoon and our beds are in different rooms now. i can't imagine living differently from how we did this year. ash's and my room was so special--we went so far as to put our desks in the closets. makes me sad to leave such a sweet roommate with so many memories, but excited for a fresh summer and new year as a JUNIOR (whoop!!)
- after i complete my exams I'll be headed to the beach! not just 1 beach but 2! the fertile myrtle for the first few days then hilton head for the second few days. who could want more?
- once again I'll be going to the LP this summer! Last summer was very challenging for me so I am apprehensive to get pumped for this summer, but I really am learning to trust God...that He can redeem my uneasy feelings and show me more of Himself for the 8 weeks I'm spending in Myrtle Beach this year. I am praying that God will show me more rest, treasure, and joy in the Gospel this summer!
- thanks for being such faithful readers! ash is moving out in 2 days :( but be on the lookout for links to our new blogs :).
Posted by Amanda at 12:55 AM
Saturday, April 24, 2010
I can't begin to express the joy I feel when I pass bright pink and purple magnolia bushes on my way to Neville during the spring. These flowers, somehow, lift an ungrateful, heavy spirit that accompanies me when my tired eyes can hardly stand to stay open for the last few classes of the semester. I can't begin to express the joy I felt last Sunday, when after four stanzas of a beautiful, old hymn, the resounding sound of the organ stopped, and only the pure, worshipful chords of a congregation echoed throughout the church. I can't begin to express the joy I feel daily from inexplicable, aesthetic gifts from a God who created beauty itself.
But the grace of God changes people through Jesus. "For the Lord comforts Zion. He comforts all her waste places and makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the Lord." (Is 51.3). We don't have to strive for beauty. We don't have to give up meals to manipulate our bodies; we don't have to give up sleep to receive a 4.0; we don't have to give up respect to get a boyfriend. The greatest and only sacrifice needed for our satisfaction comes from God. And it doesn't require any strife. It comes freely.
Posted by Amanda at 11:57 PM