Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recruiters camp out in Springs

For all of you faithful followers (shoutout to ward!!) who are aware of the time Ash and I finally went to sleep last night (3 AM) as a result of the last blogpost (read it.  ASAP.), it may amuse you to discover that I had a 9 am class today.  Not only did I make it to the said class, whose topic just so happened to be Linguistics, but I made it to said class in pin attire!  Praise be to God for that one because I woke up at 8:41 am and am definitely not skilled in the getting ready fast department.

Naturally, my body ached for caffeine after said class.  My first choice, of course, was some coffee from Springs.  12 ounces of java, a little skim milk, and 4 Splendas did the trick.  Along with an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich and a little time with the Lord studying John 3, I had all of the energy I needed to bounce back from this obvious sleep deficit.

As I'm exiting Springs, I notice several tables set up with information about summer camps.  Recruiters were in our student center offering information about their various camps.  Being the kind and indecisive self that I am (believe it or not...I have no idea what God has for me this summer), I decided to grab a few applications from the recruiters.

Slight problem: just grabbing a few applications from camp counselor recruiters is actually impossible.  Why?  Because you can't just grab an application, you also must provide very specific information about yourself.  Such as?  Who are you?  Where are you from?  What are you looking for this summer?  Why did you choose PC?  And what do students like you actually do on the weekends here?

In a jumbled, confusing, and most likely incoherent manner I answered: Amanda Sutker.  Irmo, South Carolina.  English Major.  Secondary Education Minor.  I want to learn more about God this summer, and maybe more about myself too.  I have no clue how I ended up here, but I love it.  And on the weekends, I go to mixers with my sorority, drive to Greenville to shop, watch a movie, or eat ice cream, and on special occasion, I am able to overhear the great pranks that occur, including those involving crab legs.

After talking to representatives from Camp Burnt Gin, Camp Kanuga, Camp Thunderbird, Camp Greenville, Camp Grier, and Camp Buc, I've almost got this routine nailed.  Some of the representatives are a little awkward and over-smily.  Some of them heard me talk and just got quiet, suggesting that perhaps their camp wasn't best suited for someone not akin to hiking with no other outdoors experience.  And some of them were fun, engaging, and personable.  Honestly, I had a blast.

At the end of each visit, the recruiters asked me to sign my name and email address on a list of interested applicants.  When I signed the lists, I was the first and only interested applicant on every paper.  Inevitably, this action tugged on my heart and made me feel a little sad for the recruiters, who now knew so much about me and shared a lot about themselves, and why they loved camp as well.

Anyways...I think I have a new perspective on summer camps now.  Who knows where I'll be this summer, but I'm definitely sending in a few applications the next few weeks.  I also visited Springs after our CEP to grab lunch.  Upon leaving, I smiled and waved to the recruiters.  I didn't check to see if they had any more interested applicants yet, but they all acknowledged me too, some of the guys doing the weird man head nod, the old awkward guy telling me goodbye by name.  If I gained nothing else, at least I now have a few new friends :).

0 comments: