Sunday, March 14, 2010

grammatically speaking

as you know, blogfans, i am an english major. that also means i am a bit of a grammar nazi. okay, i admit, i'm more than a little bit concerned with grammar. i re-read emails four and five times to ensure correct punctuation and perfect word choice, i correct my friends and family (and sometimes strangers) if they use incorrect grammar, and i'd definitely place fourth in a pc grammar rules competition (right behind dr. brent, mrs. frey, and amanda).

because i pay so much attention to grammar, you can probably guess that grammar errors are one of my biggest pet peeves. as far as i'm concerned, there are absolutely no excuses for grammatical errors in any type of publication - novel, textbook, newspaper, magazine, website, or blog. of course, no one is perfect, so not even the best of copy editors can catch every error. however, i do try very hard to keep my blog posts error free.

i love blogs, and i read about ten of them regularly. however, one of these blogs irritates me because i can't tolerate someone who complains about grammar errors on a regular basis and yet has glaring errors of his or her own in almost every blogpost.

i realize that i may be sticking my foot in my mouth with this post, but it's all i could think of to write about, and amanda has been kicking my butt lately as far as posting goes. therefore, i apologize for any past, present, or future grammatical errors created by me.

0 comments: