Friday, March 12, 2010

English Major Stereotypes

As we were finishing our ridiculously long homework assignment for Dr. Brent's Linguistics class, my good friend Kate Colwill and I made a list of stereotypical English majors in our class.  For your amusement and entertainment, my friends:
Parker- WHAT?  You're an English major?  Are you sure?
Allen- Typical English major, enriched by English major extracurriculars such as chess, drinking coffee, and having intellectual discussions with anyone who will lend an ear.
TJ- over-analytical English major; thus gets very confused by sentence structure of the American English vernacular.
Ahkeem-stuck in 90s English major.  love the combination of an acid-dyed denim jacket with a beanie, by the way.
Dr. Brent- My ideal day would be going to an Old English convention, watching every episode of Schoolhouse Rock, and diagramming sentences (I've never truly experienced pleasure until I discovered diagramming) English major.
Elizabeth- I love Xena and anime cartoons English major
Random girl with blonde hair and glasses who always answers questions correctly- you're not even an English major!  Why are you in linguistics?
Link- crazy English major
Robert- who would have thought you'd be an English major?
Tripp- Relatively cool English major.  Works in the writing center; tries, but the secret's between you and me.  examples: he always talks about Mrs. Frey, matches his clothes and plans his outfits two weeks in advance, brings his mac to class (but really checks facebook), reads CS Lewis in his spare time, and skips class often.

Kate and I like to think we're the normal English majors.  Best major ever.  Peace from the library at 2.52 am.

0 comments: