Monday, March 8, 2010

collision on the bypass

This weekend I went to a missions conference at Mitchell Road Presbyterian Church in Greenville.  The theme of the conference was catch and release.  We explored the story of Jonah and the whale and marveled at the reality of the gospel...how God catches us, grabs our attention, call us to Himself, then releases us to be channels and messengers for His glory.

If you are an avid blog reader, you may remember that time in November or December when I accidentally drove into a creek.  As you may guess my driving skills are subpar...which is totally fine!  I love being the passenger.  But on Friday I needed to drive...so my friend Eowyn and I buckled our seatbelts and prepared for a journey that ended up more eventful than we could have even imagined.

Eowyn and I left from PC Friday around 4 or so.  Seeing as the interstate to Greenville is closed until August for construction, we took the bypass through Laurens/Grey Court/other small towns with names that sound like combinations of tired words and breed old-fashioned (or just old) southern families.

We made it through the relatively dense traffic of a Friday afternoon in Laurens.  As we proceeded on the two-lane, double-yellow road, the car driving behind me suddenly seems as if it's passing me.  Problem is, there is another car approaching it head-on.  I am only kind of freaking out...until I hear a boom that sounds like a gunshot.  By now I'm thinking how sketchy the situation is, and as I look to my left I notice both cars tumbling into the ditch.  Whoa.  Did that really just happen?

I turn around a few yards ahead, park on the side of the road, and Eowyn and I climb down to the grass between the fork in the road where both cars lie.  Noticeable dents mar both cars, tires are flown across the grass, and a bumper lies broken off of a car too.

Both drivers are confused, angry, and thankful for their lives.  No one was hurt at all...a miracle because this scene literally could have been in a movie.  Eowyn and I wait about a half hour longer and I give a report to the policeman, who records my name and some other info.  We continue the trip to Greenville with the most exciting part of our journey behind us, though we did encounter a few wrong turns along the way.

0 comments: