Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Before this post really gets started, I have to wonder: is there anyone who still reads Life in the Smyth Lane besides my dad (who may, in actuality, be our most faithful and devout reader)?  Ever since we aquired our goal of 25 readers by Christmas, there have been few new followers.  Thanks to all of you readers who, like my Daddio, tune in for every episode of Life in the Smyth Lane.  And if you're a secret reader (I know a few of you must exist), we'd love to have you become an official follower!

This semester I am taking a class called Education for the Exceptional Learner, aka, Special Education.  Since I decided the week before exams to minor in Secondary Education, I had to make a few adjustments to the sched.  Hence psychology (ick!) and special ed this semester.  Although it has been my only class in the education department so far, I have really enjoyed special education.  My teacher, Dr. G* (I didn't put her real name because I thought that would be mean and fear that she will google her own name, stumble over Life in the Smyth Lane, and fail me for the semester) is very organized, has a passion for people, and loves to chat.

Dr. G went to PC in the seventies and has lived and taught around Clinton for most of her life since (whoa!!).  She is single, an adjuct professor at PC, and also works part time for a center in Clinton that provides mentally-handicapped adults with jobs.  She is awesome at what she does and incredibly patient with the adults with whom she works.  She hands back every paper or assignment within the next class period.  She is training us to be teachers who are attentive to each student's learning needs.

I can only think of wonderful things to say about Dr. G, but today I realized that a huge fear of mine is that I will become a woman like her!  Incredibly passionate about her job, able to impact her community, and overall satisfied without a family or husband.  Take what I know of Dr. G's life, throw in a few cats, maybe a book club or two and I find myself already cringing at the chance that this image could very well be my future!

I am learning to be content in every situation...wherever God has me.  And I don't have to worry about the future yet.  He who provides enough grace for me to dwell with him today will be faithful til tomorrow.

0 comments: